Panorama photos are one of the latest trends in digital photography. Panoramic photos are good for displaying landscapes, sightseeing, monuments, and object covering vast area. But they are rare in our home photo collections.
Usually after vacations we bring several separate photos of one place or building. We explain to our friends that we couldn’t shoot it as one pic and ask them to believe that it looks gorgeous as a united monument unit. But there is one free program that can save your friends’ imagination – IrfanView. It creates one panorama photo out of a few split pictures.
IrfanView photo viewer is a fine free alternative to authentic panorama photography because original panorama photography is a rather capricious thing.
First of all, to shoot panoramic photos, you will need expensive equipment and special photo editing apps. For example, Sony Cybershot photo camera and Windows smartphones like HTC Radar or Nokia Lumia with dedicated photo apps for taking panoramic pictures.
Besides, they require standalone photo software, like Microsoft Photosynth for viewing/editing these images. These barriers stop authentic panoramic photos from wide-spreading.
Thus, it’s much easier to compose ordinary rectangular images into one long panorama picture with software like IrfanView.
1. Download IrfanView and select several photos you plan to merge into a long panoramic photo.
2. Go to the “Image” tab and click “Create Panorama Image” option.
3. Choose a horizontal or vertical panorama image layout you want to make and click the “Add Images” button for adding your pictures. Don’t forget to resize photos, so they have the same proportions and size that later let them look as the integral image.
4. Set spacing between images. If you need one image without any breaks, then put zero pixels in this box. If you plan spaces between image pieces, select color for borders between image parts.
5. When you’re done, click the “Create Image” button and you’ll see your panorama image.
6. Go to the “File” and select the “Save as” option and save your panorama image on your computer.
Look at the screenshot, the vertical panorama “Cat” image is made of 3 parts with zero spacing. IrfanView has created the picture so smoothly that it’s hard to guess of its real fragmented composition.