With endless memory of new iPhone and Android smartphones, we make dozens of similar images. Often it’s hard to find out if there’s a difference between two photos of the same person shooted one by one. Which one is better? What picture should you upload on Instagram, the first or the second one? Today, we’ll show you how to identify similarity between two pictures without professional side by side photo comparison software like Adobe Lightroom.
Is There an App to Compare Pictures?
Today, we’ll show you 2 absolutely free PC apps for pic comparison: FastStone Image Viewer for Windows 7-10 and Microsoft Photos app for Windows 11. Depending your Windows OS version, you can choose one of the applications.
Way #1. How to Compare Images on Windows 7-10 in FastStone Image Viewer
Using a free photo comparison tool called FastStone Image Viewer, you can compare similar images pixel by pixel on your home Windows 10. FastStone Image Viewer, as it’s clear from its name, is a free viewer app with photo comparison features. The freeware contains a special mode that lets you check similarities and differences between two pictures. The software is totally free for home use and works on Windows 7 and higher PCs.
Watch the short video tutorial below showing you how to compare two images in FastStone Viewer:
Moreover, FastStone Image Viewer permits matching several pics at the time. You can measure the differences between 4 almost identical photos of an object, person, face, building, sightseeing, etc. Besides, the free picture viewer helps not only to compare two pictures with your own eyes and find the differences, but also displays EXIF information, so you can detect timestamp and other useful file data. See our guide about EXIF info here.
If you want to learn more about all awesome FastStone Image Viewer capabilities, read our detailed review here.
How Find the Difference Between Two Photos Pixel by Pixel in FastStone Image Viewer?
Follow our simple tutorial and check the similarity between two pictures with the help of FastStone Image Viewer. FastStone Image Viewer empower you to:
- use zoom to detect minor distinctions;
- compare two pics in full screen mode, if you have a photo crowded with many people or tiny objects;
- rotate images right or left if they turn over after import from iPhone/Android
Here’s how to compare two pics side by side, pixel by pixel on Windows 7-10:
- Download and launch FastStone Image Viewer (the link given in the software review);
- Open pictures folder with similar files;
- Select two pics to compare using CTRL and your mouse;
- Go to Tools > Compare Images or click the Image Comparison icon on the top of the FastStone toolbar (see the screenshot above) to start the comparison mode;
- Compare two images for similarities and differences in a comparison mode;
- Select to show EXIF information, if you wish at the top right corner;
- Check the File name box, if you want to see the name of your pic;
- Press the close button when you’re done.
This way you can compare two pics thoroughly, check every inch of photo and see if there are any unwanted objects or blurred pixels.
FastStone Image Comparison App Pros & Cons
FastStone Image Viewer advantages:
FastStone Image Viewer helps you to decide which pic deserves to be shared and which one should be deleted from your gadget. And it’s absolutely free.
FastStone Image Viewer disadvantages:
Unfortunately, the software doesn’t have batch mode. So you can’t compare multiple picture automatically. The limit is 4 pics at a time.
Way #2. How to Compare Pictures on Windows 11 in Microsoft Photos
If you upgraded your computer or laptop to Windows 11, feel free to compare pictures with Microsoft Photos app. You don’t need to install it. It’s already available on your computer. Microsoft Photos app is the default free photo viewer with has an option to compare two pictures side by side. When you’re viewing a photo in a folder and want to compare two or more pictures, you can easily do so in the new Photos app in Windows 11.
Here’s how to compare two pics side by side, pixel by pixel on Windows 11:
- Open a folder with several pictures
- Click CTRL+A to select all files in the folder
- Start Microsoft Photos app: double-click on any photo and open it with Microsoft Photos
- See the photo and the line of the tiles below it
- Move your mouse cursor to the corner of the similar photo tile to compare 2 pictures
- Find a small checkbox in the corner (see the red sign on the screenshot above)
- Check the box to compare two pictures side by side
- When you’re done, uncheck the box
- Continue to see other photos in Microsoft Photos as in usual viewer
Watch the video tutorial below see how to compare two images on Windows 11 in Microsoft Photos:
Microsoft Photos Image Comparison App Pros & Cons
Microsoft Photos App advantages:
It’s absolutely free. No software install needed. Easy to start. Beautiful interface.
Microsoft Photos App disadvantages:
Unfortunately, the software is good for only Windows 11 PCs.
Now is your turn to try this comparing app. Share with us your opinion in the comments!
How Good Are You at Image Comparison?
Pass free quiz & see how expert you are at comparing photos. Do you know how to compare pictures side by side?