Have you ever thought why professional designers spend so much time creating a digial ad banner? Can do it yourself without design experience and get a really creative and effective ad banner? Yes, you can with Canva app! Make digital ad banners for Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or LinkedIn for FREE on Canva. We will show you how.
To get an ad banner, you can open Photoshop on your Windows or Mac computer but, sometimes and very often, it’s too complicated to create a digital moving picture by yourself. That’s why, open a web browser and find special sites designed for banners creation like Canva.
Creating an ad banner on Canva online is also not purely free as you might pay for premium paid options (if you wish, but not obligatory) but at least it is much cheaper than any kind of software. But in this post I will concentrate on other aspects such as what, where, how, why and what for.
Let’s start with the other resources. Google Ads Builder, free web sites that appear in search results if you ask Google for “create ad banner” or “create a free ad banner”, but you’ll be locked up on Google properties like YouTube. So how to make ad banners for other social media such as LinkedIn, Facebook or Instagram? All kinds of banner makers are at your service. If we speak about totally free apps, you can also start a free Photoscape application and make an animated banner in GIF format.
What is Canva Good for?
We wrote about Canva as a printable calendar builder app, but besides that Canva enables everyone to make beautiful ad banners of all sizes for all popular social networks. So if you want to launch an ad campaign on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn with the same ad branding colors, texts and call to actions, you can login into Canva once and create your ad of all sizes and formats automatically.
Here’s how it works – how to make ad banner for Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube on Canva step by step:
- Create a Canva account and login there;
- Select a Canva banner template from the left menu;
- Add text and call to action;
- Upload your logo and other branding assets;
- Add animation, if necessary
- Download your banner as PNG, GIF, MP4 or JPEG image
Watch below video tutorial how to make ad banner on Canva for free:
What Banners Work Better in 2021?
- Size. One of the most important features of an effective banner is its size in pixels and bytes. The more the size the more space it occupies on the server and the slower it downloads. The slower your ad downloads, the lesser are the chances that the visitors will see it. One of the best working sizes on the Internet is 336×280 pixels, but 728×90 pixels also performs well. However, each social media like Facebook and LinkedIn has its own ad banner requirements. For example, here are Facebook photo sizes, but they don’t match YouTube or LinkedIn ad sizes. So should you learn all social media ad requirements? If you want to use Canva for free, then go ahead and download Hootsuite Image Sizes Cheat Sheet and make banner for each network one by one on Canva. But if you don’t want to mess with it, just upgrade to Canva premium and create one banner and Canva will automatically resize it for all networks: Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
- Animation. An animated banner looks fresh, lively and intriguingly. It draws attention and it’s a 90% guarantee that a site visitor will click on it. But take into account that if the animation is too quick or there are too many objects, images and text in it, it will look overloaded which is bad for visual apprehension.
- Text. Too little text very often means no information. It’s a real gift to create slogans out of two or three words that express the necessary thought. Too much text may make your ad banner look overloaded. People read most of texts cornerwise. Simply make some words vivid and bigger and it’s more likely that users will click on your ad.
- Hyperlinks. Indicate your website address. Make sure that the information in your banner corresponds to the page content where your hyperlink leads. And nobody has abolished the 3-click rule yet.
- Location on the page. In most cases, people pay attention to the banners that are placed to the right of the page or left to the text. It is simple to explain as we are used to read from the left to the right. It’s also profitable to place your banner near important buttons like Download, Subscribe, Buy Now, etc.
These are the most essential points that you have to take into account when creating your own banner. But I would strongly recommend you to spend some more time and read tips on the banner animation as it is one of the most important issues.
Canva Banner Graphics: Best Practices 2021
First of all, remember that banner text and banner graphics are closely connected. In other words, if the text is perfect but the graphic design is poor, no banner will be successful. And vice versa, if a banner graphics and plot are all right but the text is dull, there won’t be any effect.
When you think over the graphical counterpart you should remember the following rules:
- Your banner should match the color scheme and style of the website where you plan to place the banner.
- Your banner should draw attention. That’s why it is strongly recommended to use video or GIF animation. But at the same time you should take care and not make your banner too bright and irritating. It was found out that the animation helps increase a banner effectiveness by 30-40%, provided that the animation doesn’t have lots of complicated details and downloads quickly.
- Try to avoid quick text and image changing. Make the frame change time a bit longer in order your reader could understand the main idea and look at the images and animation.
- Watch the color scheme of your banner. In no case make the banner background flash. Avoid color combinations that irritate a human eye. The best combinations (in decreasing order) are:
blue on white;
black on yellow;
green on white;
black on white;
green on red;
red on yellow;
red on white;
orange on black;
black on purple;
orange on white;
red on green.
And More Canva Tips & Tricks
Here are additional tricks that will help you create an effective banner in 2021 on Canva:
- Click here, Download now. The investigations show that these phrases are able to increase a banner effectiveness by 20-30%.
- FREE! A magic word that will surely attract a reader. But don’t forget about the explanation text! Briefly and intriguingly explain what exactly users will get for free if they go to your site.
- Catchy headings. Smart and attractive headings are one of the most important marketing tools. Use figures (100+ samples), questions (What is … How to…).
- Text in blue color. A text that is underlined with the blue line is subconsciously associated with a hyperlink and therefore makes a user click on the banner text.
- Windows similarity. According to experts, banners that are designed as Windows controls (drop-down menus, buttons, scroll bars, etc.) make users click on them more often.
What are the Disadvantages of Canva?
Does Canva have disadvantages? Yes, there are some. Let’s see:
- Since Canva is a platform, there’s no personal design approach to your digital ad design as hired designers can do
- It’s not totally free
- If you leave the default ad template intact, your banner will look like many other banners and users might not notice your creatives
Check video to compare Canva advantages and disadvantages:
Fortunately, there are ways to overcome all troubles. If you are sure that your banner is in the right place and reaches the right audience, but there are no results, change the banner! It’s not necessary to redesign the whole banner, think over the weak points, show the banner to your friends and acquaintances and ask them to comment on it. Make regular corrections to improve your banner. Sometimes they are able to increase the banner effectiveness by 6-8 times!
So tell us about your Canva experience in comments! Do you like it?