Nowadays almost each hand-held gadget has a camera to make snapshots. The image files usually need some picture editing. Let’s learn how to edit pics. There are plenty of graphics editing tools for all skill levels: simple online image editors, middle-level desktop picture editors, or advanced Adobe PhotoShop. This review is devoted to PhotoScape. You don’t need to be pro-photographer to edit your photos using this wonderful program. Check our quick tutorial for beginners.
What is PhotoScape?
It’s free easy-to-use graphics software, which helps view, edit pics, make media slides, and create animated gifs of good quality. It’s not open-source software; if you’re looking for an open-source image editor, see our GIMP review here. Picture editing turns out to be fun, safe and amusing journey into photography world with this friendly application. Download and install the program from here onto your PC (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP), select pics that are to be edited and launch this picture editing software.
- powerful for amateurs;
- supports RAW files from SLR camera (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc) & digital cameras;
- editor & viewer in one tool;
- includes slideshow player and slideshow maker;
- creates animated gifs
- confusing interface;
- old-fashioned program style;
- complicated workflow (some things you need to learn how to find in the freeware);
- no Mac support
Look at few simple things you can start with.
What Can PhotoScape Do?
There are plenty of features in this all-in-one toolbox. You can do almost all basic image manipulation tricks with the help of the freeware. Let’s list the most popular picture editing features among beginners. See full list of features in action:
Top 5 Most Popular PhotoScape Tools:
#1 PhotoScape Image Viewer
Of course, there’s an image viewer. Here’s a list of supported image formats: JPEG, JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF, RAW, CR2, CRW, NEF, NRW. View your media collection in left. Click Viewer tab and browse all files stored on your computer.
#2 PhotoScape Photo Editor
Switch to Editor tab and select files for your first image editing project. Make sure you have a copy of your file just in case something goes wrong. Drag and drop an image you want to edit. Use zoom in/out feature for precise pics editing. Rotate or flip file if it’s necessary.
Try free tools for amazing image editing experience:
- Test a different style: serpia, gray, or convert your pic into a black and white image. You can always return to the original colorful palette by clicking Undo button on the right side.
- Resize your file. Set pixel width and height or pick up a suitable size among templates.
- Modify the share of your picture. Make it rounded, or keep it rectangular.
- Adjust color, brightness, contrast manually or click Auto Level to do all work automatically.
- Add a artistic frame. Chose the best frame out of dozens templates.
- Remove photo background. Click Backlight to illuminate picture background from beneath.
- Play with tons of effects and filters hidden under Filter button to transform your picture in a real masterpiece.
Check the ultimate video guide with indepth overview of picture editing toolset:
#3 PhotoScape Raw File Converter
As we mentioned above, the software works with RAW files. So if you use Canon or Nikon to take pictures, the utility can convert your RAW pics into high-resolution JPEG images, so you can share them with the whole world. See how to convert RAW images into JPG in the video guide below:
#4 PhotoScape Collage Maker
It is definetely of the best picture manipulation software for Windows as it can create picture collages of any kind for free. Go to Page or Combine Tab to explore collage maker options, You can add text to your pics collage, funny frame, apply various filters and effects, select any layout out of dozens of predefined collage templates.
Watch how to make picture collage in quickly:
#5 PhotoScape Image Printing
After uploading files, editing and satisfying your artist nature, it’s a good time to save your first picture editing project made in less than 5 minutes. Click Save button and decide whether you want to replace the original picture or preserve it. Go to Print tab if you want to print your image.
Now you know how to edit images easily. Try batch mode, if you need to edit multiple pictures at a time and enjoy your photography talent.
Learn more of tips & tricks! Read more reviews:
How to Overlay Two Pictures
How to Change Photo Background
How to Use Screen Capture in PhotoScape
PhotoScape X Review in Details: Layers, Background, Color, Crop & More