On October 23, 2013 developer from Korea MOOII Tech released PhotoScape X, absolutely new powerful photo editor software for Windows 10 and Apple Mac. For the last 8 years, PhotoScape X gained an army of loyal fans among photographers, graphic designers and home users for the easiness of editing image layers, background, cropping, changing colors and adding text. Let’s see why PhotoScape X is called a real alternative to PhotoShop and Lightroom. Is PhotoScape so good?
What is PhotoScape X and PhotoScape X PRO?
PhotoScape X is a freeware photo editor for Windows 10 and Mac OS 10 and higher. PhotoScape X installer exe file available for download from Microsoft Store and from the official developer’s website here. PhotoScape X app is free, but includes certain feature limits. All features are unlocked in the paid software named PhotoScape X PRO. PhotoScape X PRO features contain:
- Clone stamp;
- Color balance;
- Gradient fill;
- And others (see the screenshot below)
PhotoScape X (both free and PRO) system requirements are very modest: Windows 10 x64 and later, macOS 10.12 or later. If you own an older Windows OS like Windows 7, Vista, 8 or XP, you can use classic PhotoScape. We wrote several user manuals for Photoscape, check them here.
Should You Upgrade from PhotoScape X to PhotoScape X PRO?
The old PhotoScape had tons of image manipulation tools inside one program. But PhotoScape X is another case. We have prepared a comparison table of all PhotoScape apps, so you can choose a $39.99 upgrade wisely.
PhotoScape vs PhotoScape X vs PhotoScape X PRO Comparison Table
|Feature||PhotoScape||PhotoScape X Free||PhotoScape X PRO|
|OS||Windows XP, 7, 8, 10||Windows 10, Mac||Windows 10, Mac|
|Photo Collage Maker||+||+||+|
|Batch Pic Editing||+||–||+|
So is PhotoScape X good enough? We think – YES! If you still have doubts, let’s explore PhotoScape X best features in detail. Follow our PhotoScape X guide!
How to Remove Image Background in PhotoScape X?
There are 3 most popular ways of image background removal in PhotoScape X:
- blur background;
- change background;
- make background transparent;
Let’s see how to remove picture background each way and apply the best background change tips and tricks to your photo!
How to Blur Image Background in PhotoScape X?
PhotoScape X enables you to completely blur the background of your image and focus only on the key element of your photo. For example, like my picture below:
Here’s how to blur photo background in PhotoScape X:
- Launch PhotoScape X free version;
- Drag and drop your images and open the Editor tab;
- Go to Adjustments right side menu and click the Blur icon;
- Select Blur type and increase the blur radius;
- Click +Mask sign and enable the Show mask option;
- Highlight the key element of your picture and your want to keep and to focus on;
- Click the Invert mask button and click the Apply button;
- Save the changes by clicking the bottom Save button. Done!
Or watch video tutorial showing you blur trick in PhotoScape X:
How to Change Picture Background and Cut Out an Image in PhotoScape X?
PhotoScape X gives many ways to get rid of picture background. For example, you can use Magic eraser. It’s one of the easiest ways to eliminate the back scene of your image. Open an image in PhotoScape X, go to Editor and select Tools on the right, then click the Eraser. Using the Magic Eraser brush you can completely remove the pic background and leave only the important object on your pic.
However, if you look for a more sophisticated technique, we will show you how to change picture background through cutting out the image in the manual below.
Watch PhotoScape video tutorial and learn how to crop image and change picture background:
Follow 4 steps:
- Launch PhotoScape and add your picture;
- Go to Cut out tab and use the Magic Eraser and Brush tools to remove all background;
- Now go to Editor tab, and click on the right menu Transformations > Matte (if you purchased PhotoScape X PRO version) and replace background with something new or use Transformations > Reflection > Background (if you use PhotoScape X free);
- Don’t forget to save changes when you’re done
How to Make a Transparent Photo Background in PhotoScape X?
Many of us dream to cut out a photo where you look great, but the back area or the crowd destroys the whole composition. So find out how to cut out your selfie and make the rest of the background transparent.
Follow these steps to create a new transparent photo background:
- Open PhotoScape X and go to Editor;
- Right click with your mouse so the context menu can appear;
- Click New… and set Background opacity the left side as on the screenshot above;
- You can save the transparent background so you can overlay your selfie on later;
- Go to Cut out menu and open your selfie which you want to save without background;
- Use the Lasso tool to select your persona and click the Invert Mask button to save your selfie without background;
- Right click with your mouse and choose Copy to Clipboard;
- Then switch to the Editor tab and right click again and click the Paste option;
- Save the final picture onto your computer. Done!
Here are two useful video guides that will show you:
- How to make transparent background (steps 1-4)
- How to cut out an object from a picture using lasso tool (steps 5-9)
How to Add Image Layers in PhotoScape X?
Probably the most intriguing thing in PhotoScape X is the ability to add, overlay and edit image layers as you can do in other professional graphic editors such as Adobe PhotoShop or GIMP. As you know the layers feature was introduced in PhotoScape X PRO, the paid version of PhotoScape X. Still many of us are wondering, is there any chance to add an image layer in PhotoScape X free? Yes, it’s possible to add image layers in PhotoScape X free and to manipulate them: add new layers, duplicate existing layers, delete layers and merge image layers.
Here’s how to add image layers in PhotoScape X step by step:
- Start PhotoScape X free;
- Go to the Editor tab and open your image you want to edit;
- At the top right corner find the Insert button and click it;
- Click the Image button at the top right corner and add a new image your want to add as a layer to your initial picture;
- After that you’ll see the left Layers menu where you can select a necessary action like: add a new layer, delete a layer, copy a layer, remove a layer or join image layers;
- Also you can edit the selected layer within a special Image menu that will open up in a small window (see the screenshot below);
- When you done your work with layers, don’t forget to save the edited image. That’s it!
Watch video tutorial showing you how to work with object layers in PhotoScape X:
How to Change Color & Opacity in PhotoScape X?
One more useful feature in PhotoScape X is the possibility to change photo color and edit image opacity. In addition to batch editing, panoramic image stitching, HDR effects, color and opacity change is one of the most demanded features among photographers. Just imagine that PhotoScape X can enhance several dozens of photos at once like Lightroom or Sagelight Image Editor.
Here’s how to change photo color in batch mode:
- Start PhotoScape X;
- Go to Batch tab and add all your photos;
- Scroll the right menu and select Color option;
- Change brightness, color, contrast, clarity, saturation, tint, hue, exposure, add HDR or Magic Color effects, tweak white, black, green, red, blue balance, and much more;
- Please note that the changes will apply to all images you’ve added. Save changes when you are done. That’s it.
If you want to change color, light or opacity only for one picture, then go to the Editor tab, add your image and use the top right menu Color or Light.
Watch an advanced video guide explaining how to replace color with a new one in PhotoScape X:
How to Add Text on Picture in PhotoScape X?
If you enjoy adding memory notes on photos or creating memes, then you should be aware of the text feature of PhotoScape X. The software lets you insert your word on image.
Follow 7 steps to add text to photo:
- Open PhotoScape X;
- Go to the Editor tab and add your image;
- At the top right corner click the Insert button;
- Among the top menu select the Text option;
- Set your text location dragging your mouse;
- Edit your text style: font, size, shadow, background, opacity using the Text attributes menu.
- When you’re done, save the changes.
Or watch video manual showing how to add text to image in PhotoScape X:
PhotoScape X Review in a Nutshell
PhotoScape X advantages:
- Cross-platform photo editor (for Windows PC and Mac);
- Fast and with tons of handy features;
- Cool tools for beginners and pros;
- Many free options
PhotoScape X disadvantages:
- Clone stamp locked in paid version;
- Welcome screen overcrowded with features;
- It takes time to find layers;
Overall, we give the highest rating to PhotoScape X as an excellent successor of old classic PhotoScape.