“Before” and “After” pictures are often shown in commercials and news. It’s a beloved photo style by weight loss program advertisers. And even after natural disasters in Japan, the Internet was filled with “before and after tsunami images”. Of course, we aren’t body-builders or newsmakers, but sometimes it’s pleasant to show off your fitness results, photo shooting skills or cakes and make pictures side by side that speak for you. Today, we’ll explore one of the best online before and after photo editor software called Pixlr X.
What is Pixlr X?
This side by side photo maker web app was created long time in 2008 ago by Swedish developer Ola Sevandersson and named Pixlr Express. Later on in 2011, the Pixlr collage maker was sold to Autodesk, Inc. And finally, in 2017 INMAGINE purchased the before and after picture generator and renamed into Pixlr X. Now Pixlr editor is fast, easy and smart online side by side collage tools. Here’s what Pixlr X look like in 2021:
Pixlr X is a light version of a more advanced online Pixlr E editor. By the way, as a reader of Photo Software & Design Blog, you should be familiar with its sister-app Pixlr E, previously called Pixlr-o-Matic which reviewed earlier here. As all other free picture editing websites, Pixlr X has tons of robust tools to edit photos. But in order to make a before and after picture for free, we’ll explore only Pixlr online photo collage maker section in this tutorial.
How to Put Before and After Pictures Together?
Here’s how to put “Before” and “After” pictures side by side using Pixlr X:
- Go to pixlr.com and jump to Pixlr X;
- Select a simple 2 column before and after photo template, which allows us to make pictures comparison side by side.
- The new window will open. On the left picture, click the Plus sign to select where to upload a “Before ” image. Then on the left pannel, click the Set Image button and add a picture into slider from PC, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. Then do the same thing on the right photo and add an “After” pic from your computer.
- As a result, you’ll be able to preview “Before and After image”. If you like the pic, you can save it onto your PC. Find the Save button at the lower right corner of the application. There are several collage saving options: JPG, PNG, PXD, and higher / lower image resolutions. Select before and after picture layout quality that you want and hit the Download button.
Here we learned a simple side by side before and after image composing in Pixlr X. But there are more artistic ways to make a photo collage out of two photos with the help of Pixlr E photo editing app. It’s a mere example tutorial explaining how powerful Pixlr E suite can be. Watch a video guide showing an advanced PhotoShop-style way to blend two images into one collage:
How to Do Before and After Pictures Editing?
Still asking how to make good before and after sliders? Then check this tutorial. If you feel that the picture isn’t close to your idea of a good progress photo, than you can continue editing the photo by clicking the correspoding tabs on the left pannel. Don’t forget to select each image to apply the changes. Pixlr X is as good as PhotoShop. As one of the best photo editing sites, free Pixlr X tools include options to tweak: object shape, colors, shadows, image rotation, image resizing, background color adjustment, adding overlays, borders, frames, stickers, etc. The paid Pixlr X plan includes filters, effects, retouch and more.
For example, let’s see how to add text to your picture:
- Pick up the Add text icon among the left menu, you’ll switch to the editing mode in Pixlr X. There are two options. On the one hand, you can apply a ready text sticker like Old and New to your before and after sketch. Or add your custom words to your collage. So, use the top Add new text menu and go to the Text tab.
- Type your text such as “Before” or “After” in the highlighted box, select the font style, align, color and position with the help of corresponding tabs.
- When you are done, don’t forget to save the picture and apply your changes.
The last step will be to evaluate your work and download the final “Before” and “After” photo comparison collage.
As you can understand, Pixlr X is a unique editor is useful for both newbies and pros. It enables you to make easy side by side pic or advanced image with PhotoShop elements. Let’s sum up Pixlr X advantages and drawbacks:
+ easy and free for new users;
+ powerful photo editing features;
+ tons of ready templates for various occasions (family, business, celebration, sports, etc);
– filters and effects are locked in paid version;
– a bit complicated selection of layers for beginners.
What would you add into Pixlr X app? Is Pixlr X any good for you?
Blog’s Freebie of the day: